Tuesday, November 23, 2010


From the Enid Haupt Glass Garden at the Rusk Institute of Rehabilitative Medicine. Most of the pictures I took on this day were of the garden, but this green hose caught my eye.

I've recently learned that the Glass Garden and its wonderful horticultural therapy program are slated to be dismantled to make room for more buildings (and no, no plans to put them back somewhere else, even though there are other courtyards on the campus). This would be a true tragedy.

My friend Mike gave me a first-hand account of his experience as a patient there when he suffered a traumatic brain injury. For him, the garden offered a reason to live, a life raft for a drowning man. You can read the full story, A Life Worth Living: The Garden as Healer, on the Therapeutic Landscapes Network Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment